Our state profiles bring you all the key abortion characteristics of your state on one page.
What can you find on this page?
- Abortion Laws: Restrictions + Protections
- Clinics that provide abortion
- Medication Abortion (MAB) by Mail options
- Insurance Coverage
- Ways to pay for your abortion
- Abortion Appointment Checklist
Abortion Laws: Restrictions + Protections
Despite Roe v Wade is overturned by the Supreme Court, access to abortion will remain protected in Washington state.
|Legal Restrictions of Abortion||Legal Protections of Abortion|
|Abortion may be performed at or after viability only if the patient’s life or health is endangered (2)||Parental notification or consent is NOT required|
|Insurance that covers maternity services must also cover abortion care (1)|
|Washington does require biased pre-abortion counseling or mandatory waiting periods|
Updated: August 2022
Abortion Clinics in Washington
There are 32 clinics that provide abortion care in Washington State. They are mostly located in Western Washington. Find a complete list at abortion finder.
- Western WA Gestational Limit: 26w6d at All Women’s Care in Seattle
- Eastern WA Gestational Limit: 15w6d at Spokane Planned Parenthood
Medication Abortion by Mail
Medication abortion by mail is available in Washington State!
- Aid Access offers medication abortion for patients of all ages, up to 12 weeks of pregnancy. The cost is typically $150 and financial assistance is available. Delivery usually takes 2-3 days.
- My Abortion Network also offers medication abortion for patients of all ages, up to 10 weeks of pregnancy. The cost is typically $150 and financial assistance is available. Delivery usually takes 2-3 days.
- Abortion on Demand offers medication abortion for patients 18 years and older, up to 8 weeks of pregnancy. The cost is $239 and delivery takes 1-3 days typically.
- Hey Jane offers medication abortion for patients 18 years and older, up to 10 weeks of pregnancy. The cost is $249 and delivery usually takes 1-5 days.
- Cedar River Clinics offer medication abortion by mail or clinic pick-up for patients of all ages up to 10 weeks of pregnancy at the usual cost for medication abortion, $600. However they do accept Medicaid and some insurance, unlike many other MAB by mail options.
Does insurance in Washington cover Abortion? Typically!
Medicaid: Medicaid in Washington does cover abortion care in full.
- Pregnant people with income at or below the threshold for Apple Health are entitled to coverage, regardless of citizenship or immigration status.
- Teens can sign up for Apple Health independently from their families and their parents will not be notified.
- Application for pregnant teens under 19
- If you need more help, contact Washington Healthplanfinder at 1-855-923-4633
Private Insurance: Most insurance plans do cover abortion
- The Reproductive Parity Act requires health insurance plans that cover maternity care services to ALSO cover abortion care
- Patients with insurance coverage under someone else’s plan can apply for confidential billing from their insurance company
- If someone has Providence health coverage (does not cover abortion), the department of health will pay for abortion services for that patient. Read more here.
Indian Health Services does NOT cover abortion
Other Ways to Pay for your Abortion
If a person does not have insurance and does not qualify for Apple Health (Medicaid) they can utilize financial support from the Northwest Abortion Access Fund.
Abortion Appointment Checklist
Need ID? – ID is required if you are requesting financial assistance from the clinic itself. You may not need to bring ID if you are paying out of pocket or have insurance. Call the clinic ahead of time to make sure!
Need Parental Notification/Consent? – No, you do not need parental consent if you are under 18
Insurance Information – You will need to provide your insurance information if you’d like your insurance to be billed. You will not be denied care if you are uninsured.
Payment is expected at the time of service unless other arrangements have been made.
Call your chosen provider beforehand to see how much your abortion will cost.